DACA/DREAM Frontera Fund News

22 DACA Beneficiaries Intervene in Motion Against Conservative States

Fotosearch_k25708195
Carmen Cornejo
Written by Carmen Cornejo

As we reported in Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund last week, 7 conservative states led by Texas’ Attorney General Paxton, sued the Trump administration for keeping the DACA program alive.

The program exists, in spite of The Trump administrators best efforts to dismantle it, thanks to court orders that have re-instated the program.

On Tuesday, May the 8th, 2018  a civil rights organization called MALDEF filed a motion against Ken Paxton’s move to force the elimination of protections from deportation and work permits for those undocumented immigrants who came as children and had been accepted in the DACA program.

It is calculated that the DACA program protects more than 700,000 young individuals. The program was created by the Obama administration after the collapse of an immigration reform proposal in Congress. Federal judges in New York, San Francisco and Washington have blocked President Donald Trump’s attempts to phase out the program, prompting Paxton’s lawsuit.

 

“Texas and the Trump administration share the same erroneous and uninformed view of the law with respect to DACA,” said Thomas Saenz, president, and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, MALFEF which is suing the 7 conservative states.

“Such a collusive lawsuit cannot go forward without intervenors who will actually and vigorously defend the critically important initiative,” Saenz said.

Among the individual plaintiffs intervening to defend DACA are a nurse who works at a hospital in Edinburg, a doctoral student at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education and a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Houston now in her third year of law school, the motion said.

We will be following the developments of this and all lawsuits regarding DACA.